Latest News from HIA
This morning the Victorian Government announced a 7-day circuit breaker lockdown for the entire State to commence from 11:59pm tonight until 11:59pm on Thursday 3 June 2021.
Can building sites remain open?
Yes, subject to:
- wearing face masks at all times (unless exempted);
- using contact tracing records – such as QR codes; and
- maintaining social distances.
This also applies to renovation and maintenance activity.
If working at occupied homes builders should discuss the project with clients as they may be at home during the lockdown. Building work in occupied homes is probably not permitted under the lockdown. Further clarity is required from Government.
Deliveries of building materials are also permitted though some deliveries may be affected by the lockdown.
Members should comply with social distancing requirements as outlined in the HIA’s Making Space on Site Guidelines.
Is it essential that businesses continue to maintain their record keeping requirements for contact tracing purposes and continue to follow their CovidSafe Plan.
You may use a QR code service provider such as HIA’s SafeScan or the Victorian Service Victoria App or if you wish manual records.
For more information on your record-keeping requirements, please refer to yesterday’s HIA Member Alert.
A worker permit will not be required during the 7-day lockdown.
Display homes and colour selection
Our initial advice from the Victorian Government is that display homes and colour selections centres must remain closed for the duration of the lockdown.
The lockdown will mean that customers will not be able to leave their homes to attend an appointment.
Offices must be closed during the lockdown unless authorised to remain open. Workers should work from home where possible.
Limit on travel from your home – 5km radius
Victorians will also be required to remain within a 5km radius of their home unless travelling to work where permitted.
This means that members working on building sites will be allowed to travel outside the 5km radius to attend site.
An authorised providers and authorised workers list may be found here.
Facemasks must be worn indoors and outdoors. Businesses are encouraged to have facemasks on site and offer a facemask to workers attending the site without a mask.
Five reasons to leave home
The lockdown requires Victorians to stay at home unless they meet one of the five reasons below to leave home. This includes:
- To shop for necessary goods and services.
- For caregiving or compassionate reasons.
- To get vaccinated as soon as you’re eligible to do so.
- To exercise for a maximum of two hours per day.
- For authorised work or permitted education.
What are my ongoing obligations?
Members should continue to:
- Regularly review the DHHS list of exposure sites to make sure that they are not subject to a requirement to isolate until tested and cleared or other restrictions on leaving home.
- Continue to wear facemasks indoors and outdoors when leaving home. This includes while working on building sites.
- Maintain record keeping requirements through the Victoria Service App where required, third party QR code providers or manual records for workers and visitors attending the work premises for more than 15 minutes.
- Businesses must continue to have a COVIDSafe Plan in place for each Work Premises. Click here to download the Victorian Government’s COVIDSafe Plan template.
HIA’s Melbourne Office
HIA’s Melbourne office will be closed during this lockdown period. Our staff will however be available to assist members by phone on (03) 9280 8200 or email.
HIA will provide further advice to members on any changes to the lockdown as the Government makes relevant announcements.